I am delighted to welcome Laurie Ellingham today 🙂
Laurie’s most recent novel, One Endless Summer, was published by HQ Digital UK on 20th April 2017.
My Writing Team
It goes without saying that when a book is signed to a publisher, it becomes a team effort with editors, proof-readers, copy editors, cover designers and marketers. You only need to look at the beautiful cover of One Endless Summer to see the wonderful work that my publisher HQ (Harper Collins) have put into my novel.
But this guest post is not about that team. It’s about my other team: the amazing individuals who help me with my manuscript long before it ever reaches the hands of the publisher. As the saying goes – Behind every great man is a great woman. Well, behind every writer there are a great team. Here’s my team and why they are so important to me:
1. Andy Ellingham (aka my husband) – Andy is not much of a reader but he does diligently read my manuscript and has a great eye for weeding out clichés, as well as metaphors and similes that don’t make sense.
2. Maggie and Mel Ewings (Aka my mum and her husband) – A husband and wife duo who read everything I write. They are great with characterisation and often question whether one of my characters would say or do something.
3. Pauline Hare (aka Aunty Pauline) – A fabulous proof reader who not only spots errors but gives me a feel for when the pace is too slow or too fast, and where there needs to be a boost of excitement. Pauline is an avid reader and will give me a great sense of if I’m getting my twists right.
4. Kathryn Jones (aka my dog walking/running friend) – Eagle-eye Kathryn loves nothing more that to circle errors in my manuscript, which makes her a fantastic proof-reader. She’s my go-to person on word queries too. Kathryn is a pro at finding incorrectly used words (i.e. undulate not ululate).
5. Steve Tomlin (aka my dad) – A fantastic sounding board for ideas and story plotting. My dad is where my burning desire to write comes from. Steve likes to make sure my characters feel realistic. In One Endless Summer, Ben has a fear of heights, which was an idea Steve gave me because Ben was otherwise a bit too perfect.
6. Katherine Cresswell (aka my sister-in-law) – A social media whizz, Katherine is great at spreading the word about my books in the run up to, and after publication.
The creation of a novel is a lonely process, with long hours spent with fictional characters and typing away at a computer, but my amazing team help me through it and I would be truly lost without all of their support!
Thank you, Kerry for having me as a guest on your blog and for allowing me to give a shout out to these fabulous people.
It is my pleasure, Laurie 🙂 Many thanks for joining me.
Publisher: HQ (20th April 2017)
‘Speechless at just how breathtaking this book really is.’
Three best friends.
Three months to live.
How long can you keep a secret?
Three best friends are embarking on an all-expenses paid trip of their dreams. The only catch? Every moment will be documented on film.
Lizzie’s battle with cancer is coming to an end, and now she’s ready to embrace adventure for the very first time. There are only three months, but it is Lizzie’s time to finally start living!
Jaddi is known for her stunning looks, flirtatious attitude and many conquests. But Jaddi has a secret and on this last trip together she needs to decide whether her best friends will ever know the real her.
Samantha has always been the ‘grown up’ of the group, the one with a five year plan. What Lizzie and Jaddi don’t know is that Sam is trapped, and her perfect life isn’t quite what it seems…
As they trek across the globe Lizzie, Jaddi and Samantha must come to terms with loss, love and trusting one another. But will it all be too late…
Buy a copy…..
About the author…..
Laurie lives in a small village on the Suffolk/Essex border, with her husband, two children, and their cockerpoo, Rodney. When she is not disappearing into the fictional world of her characters, preferably with a large coffee and a Twix (or two) to hand, she is running through the countryside, burning off the chocolate intake and plotting her next chapter.
To find out more visit http://www.laurie-ellingham.com, or find her on Twitter @LaurieEllingham and Facebook Laurie Ellingham Author